From being a buzzword to emerging as a disruptive technology with high impact in the technology industry, IoT has gone from strength to strength with vendors beginning to come together as an enabling ecosystem.
Challenges and how the cloud can solve it
- IoT involves disparate devices working together for a common goal. These devices respond to inputs, as also web service calls. The volume of calls and inputs changes rapidly from time to time, and depending on scenarios of use.
Web services and other interfaces for IoT devices can be hosted on the cloud so they can scale rapidly according to the volume of requests. That way, dedicated infrastructure need not be kept idle for them.
- IoT devices could generate a lot of data. By 2020, there will be tens of billions of data-spouting devices connected to the Internet
Due to the large volume of data being generated by devices, it is a good idea to process data as a stream and store it on the cloud. Various cloud services support such data analytics and storage can be got on almost all providers.
- Data security and privacy challenges plague the industry.
Cloud vendors have created and implemented standards for data security that has given confidence to even the most skeptical critic to acknowledge the progress made and support cloud adoption for enterprises, governments and others. The IoT industry can leverage the cloud for data storage while ensuring masking/encryption or a combination to keep data safe before storage. Role based security will need to be implemented to ensure authorized access.
- IDC predicted more than 90% of the data created by IoT devices will be hosted in the cloud within the next five years. Datacentres will feel the strain in handling those volumes.
Cloud providers can augment their infrastructure easier and at better economic scale than private data centers. Using multiple public clouds to host the data is not only feasible but helps with data security as well.
Benefits from IoT
- Smart manufacturing —for continuous monitoring of critical assets, equipment, process, and product parameters within the factory using sensors with wired networks or WiFi.
- Connected products —for products giving continuous feedback about their location and performance after they are put into service in the field by using telemetry for remote monitoring
- Connected supply chain —for keeping track of inbound and outbound shipments for location related information and critical in-transit parameters such as temperature
They could also be a marketing platform!
Benefits for IoT vendors, from the Cloud
- Information Anytime, Anywhere: With the cloud, IoT devices can ensure their data is available anytime, anywhere.
- Lower TCO: Cloud computing offers real opportunities for IoT companies to lower the cost of their IT infrastructure. IT resources can be purchased based on requirement and need not be kept idle. This is very helpful when devices generate data at different volumes and times.
- Seamless Integration of Systems: Devices interact with each other and respond to web service calls. Hosting web services on the cloud helps scale to requests in a better manner.
Advantage with DROOTOO’s unified cloud platform
Many services are available from multiple cloud vendors in different countries. For requirements in a specific country, there could be a need to use different cloud providers. Usage of multiple providers can also help with Security of data and availability of critical resources.
With multiple cloud vendors offering many services, for different purposes, at varied price points, and requiring many setup and configuration steps, it makes sense to use Drootoo Unified Cloud Platform to take away the complexities and allow users to focus on getting their work done.
- Complexities of setup and configuration are hidden and a simple, easy to use interface is provided to the users. This lowers barriers to allow everyone from suppliers, distributors and employees to collaborate together.
- Users can compare services from multiple cloud vendors to select a suitable one. Depending on the country, required services could be available from different vendors and it is cumbersome to use multiple sites to manage those. It also helps if all relevant information is available in one place. From a legal perspective, it is important to adhere to the laws regarding data storage and this is enabled by region based service selections.
- Many repetitive tasks, involving various cloud vendors, can be done with a few clicks or selections. They need scripts or programs on the cloud vendor portals. Reducing this complexity for business analysts enables them to perform such repetitive tasks quickly and easily.
Strategic Advantage Through Closer Integration With DROOTOO
Customers are adopting DROOTOO unified cloud platform for multi-cloud management and setup of a network spanning cloud providers from One place with a simple, easy to use interface. Integrating your IoT solution with the DROOTOO interface allows customers to manage their Cloud and Device resources from the same place, and differentiates your solution from the competition.
It is possible to save Time, Money and Effort with Drootoo smart cloud as you take advantage of IoT to make devices work seamlessly for future generations.
Navigate back to: Case Studies