Cloud computing has huge benefits for the Education sector. Almost 85-90% of the total Educational organizations are using cloud-based applications. It reduces IT cost and Infrastructure. It increases accessibility and allows administration more flexibility in customizing their products, both for their brand and for their audience. The adoption of cloud computing, a service-oriented deployment, with the potential for lower cost, improved efficiency and availability has become imperative in the educational sector. Some of the challenges and how cloud computing is helping overcome them is listed here.
- Power and infrastructure availability issues in under developed and developing countries can impact learning and R&D activities.
The cloud enables learning anytime, anywhere and from any device. So, learning can take place at homes, clubs, libraries and other locations if schools or colleges face infrastructure or power issues.
- Professional development of teachers does not take place enough and they are unprepared or unable to understand new technologies due to lack of adequate professional development. When schools mandate the use of a specific technology, teachers are left without the tools to effectively incorporate the new capabilities into their teaching methods.
Educational portals built on the cloud can have sections targeting professional development of educators and can aid them in curriculum development, class planning and other activities.
- Resistance to change and technology comes in many forms, but a key one is teachers and school leaders often seeing technological experimentation as outside the scope of their job descriptions.
Learning to use cloud applications is usually as simple as learning to use email or word processing software. This helps lower the resistance to its use.
- Not enough informal learning is happening. Strict lecture and test models of learning are failing to challenge the students. Opportunities for such informal learning can be found in non-traditional classroom models, such as flipped classrooms, which allow for a combination of formal and informal learning.
By democratizing content creation and dissemination, cloud computing has enabled various alternatives to structured classroom learning.
- Failures of personalized learning despite there being a vision of delivering personalized differentiated instruction, and with technologies being available to make this possible. When there is need for personalized learning, educators are not being given the tools to fulfil it, or adequate tools simply don’t exist.
Educational applications built on the cloud can customize content delivery based on the user. This helps personalize the learning experience, with ease.
Some of the benefits offered by cloud computing in education sector are listed here.
- On-demand access to online repositories
- E-learning platforms can be created and deployed easier, faster, and cheaper.
- Digital archive, portals, research applications and tools can be utilized
- File storage, e-mails and other educational resources anytime, anywhere for faculty, administrators, staff, students and other users in university.
- No more expensive textbooks. Textbooks are quite expensive these days. The cost has exceeded the virtual cost in education, including teaching. Students usually refuse to buy them. Cloud technology can solve this problem as digital content is significantly less expensive than printed textbooks.
- No outdated learning materials. In expensive textbooks, many of the data is outdated. In schools the books are almost seven to eleven years old. With cutbacks in school budgets, many districts, especially in less affluent areas, simply can’t afford to replace these outdated resources. On the cloud, it is easy to update content so that students always have access to the most current learning resources.
- No expensive hardware required. Cloud applications run on Internet browsers, and most are compatible with mobile devices as well. This means that schools and students do not necessarily need to own expensive computers. There is also no need for the purchase of external hardware. Companies like Google and Microsoft offer free cloud storage.
- No expensive software required. One of the biggest advantages of cloud-based computing is the software-as-a-service (SaaS) model. Many software programs are now available either free or on a low-cost subscription basis, which substantially lowers the cost of essential applications for students.
- Reaching more and more diverse, students. Cloud computing is open for even those who did not finish high school. Now these students can earn their Degree online. Cloud computing is not only reducing costs, but creating an environment where all students can have access to high-quality education and resources. Whether you are an administrator, a teacher, a student, or the parent of a student, now is a great time to explore how cloud applications can benefit each and every member who willing to study.
Advantage with DROOTOO’s smart unified cloud platform
Many services are available from multiple cloud vendors in different countries. For requirements in a specific country, there could be a need to use different cloud providers. With multiple cloud vendors offering many services, for different purposes, at varied price points, and requiring many setup and configuration steps, it makes sense to use Drootoo Smart Cloud platform to take away the complexities and allow users to focus on getting their work done.
- Complexities of setup and configuration are hidden and a simple, easy to use interface is provided to the users. It has been mentioned earlier that there is resistance to change and technology among educators. Providing them a simple and easy cloud platform is critical to ensuring adoption.
- Users can compare services from multiple cloud vendors to select a suitable one. Depending on the country, required services could be available from different vendors and it is cumbersome to use multiple sites to manage those. It also helps if all relevant information is available in one place.
- Many repetitive tasks, involving various cloud vendors, can be done with a few clicks or selections. They need scripts or programs on the cloud vendor portals. Reducing this complexity for educators enables them to perform such repetitive tasks quickly and easily.
Hence, it is possible to save Time, Money and Effort with Drootoo smart cloud as you take advantage of cloud computing to educate the future generations.
Navigate back to: Case Studies